At Merritt Webb, we are a full-service firm with more than 40 attorneys who have the knowledge and experience to help when you need it. Whether it’s an automobile wreck or any other legal case, turn to us for expert assistance.
Do You Need An Attorney After A Car Wreck?
The website dmv.org provides guidelines about things to consider when hiring a lawyer after an accident.
If your vehicle is damaged:
- If the wreck was your fault, damages will be covered by your own insurance policy. Also, if it was a hit-and-run, your insurance will cover damages.
- If you are not at fault, reimbursement will come from the other driver’s insurance.
- The insurance company will decide if your car is a total loss or if it will pay for repairs.
Often the first offer from the responsible insurance company is not enough to cover the repair or replacement of your vehicle. In this case, it is best to consult with a lawyer to handle the accident claim to be sure you get a fair settlement.
If there is personal injury:
- If you are not at fault, your bills will be covered by the other driver’s liability coverage.
- If you have medical payments coverage, you will get help with medical expenses no matter who is found to be at fault in the accident.
- If the accident was caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver, your uninsured motorist protection will provide you with coverage for medical expenses, lost wages, pain & suffering from injuries and vehicle repairs and damages.
Of course, if anyone is injured in a car wreck, you need to get medical attention immediately for two reasons. (1) A professional assessment of injuries and treatment will reduce risking serious effects later. (2) The longer you wait to have injuries documented, the more difficult it will be for your attorney to prove they were caused by the auto accident.
As your claim goes through the process, insurance companies will question everything. Their job is to keep payments as low as possible and to make sure that all expenses are legitimate. It is important for you to keep all bills, receipts, reports and other documentation in order to assist an experienced lawyer in negotiating the best settlement for you.
Statute of Limitations
There is a definitive amount of time in which to file a claim after a car accident. This statute of limitations varies by state, but is strictly enforced. A skillful attorney, such as those at Merritt Webb, understands how to navigate the court system, negotiate with insurance companies and operate within the laws that govern the process. With us handling the details, you can focus on healing and returning your life to normal as soon as possible.
Let us serve as your car accident lawyer.