Labor Day became a federal holiday in the US in 1894. The holiday celebrates the American Worker and his (or her) contributions to the economic success of this country. Initially, Labor Day was celebrated with parades to “exhibit to the public ‘the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations’.” The parades were followed by street festivals to honor the workers. Many cities and towns continue to hold parades and organized gatherings each year. Other individuals use the three-day weekend to celebrate with friends and family by having their own cook-outs.
Here are some ideas for you to enjoy your Labor Day weekend 2012 in our area:
- Charlotte Labor Day Parade, 9/3/12, 10:00 a.m.
- Labor Day Celebration, Canton, NC, 8/30-9/3/12
- Beach, Boogie & BBQ Festival, Myrtle Beach, 8/31-9/2/12
- African American Cultural Festival of Raleigh and Wake County, 9/1-9/2/12
- Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Fun Run (motorcycle ride), Winston Salem, 9/3/12
- North Carolina Apple Festival, Hendersonville, 8/31-9/3/12
The attorneys and staff at Merritt Webb wish you and yours a happy Labor Day 2012!