Imagine that the worst has happened and you, and perhaps your family, are involved in a serious automobile crash. Do you know what to do after a car accident – both in the immediate aftermath and as time goes by to effectively prepare for a settlement? At Merritt, Webb, Wilson & Caruso, PLLC (Merritt Webb), we want you to be knowledgeable about what matters. In addition, we are a group of more than 40 attorneys who are uniquely equipped and experienced to maneuver the legal maze on your behalf.
Immediately After A Car Accident, What Do You Do?
- Remain at the scene after a car accident until authorities arrive.
- Check for any injuries but do not move injured parties unless their lives are in danger.
- Call 911 to request the police to document the incident and seek medical help if needed.
- Answer all the questions from the police and request a copy of the police report, which should include the name, contact information and insurance company information for all parties involved.
- If possible, take photographs of the scene and all automobiles involved.
- Get names and contact information of any witnesses to the car accident.
- Do not talk with, or answer questions from, other involved parties after the automobile crash.
What To Do In The Days And Weeks After A Car Accident
- Notify your insurance company about the car crash, even if you think the accident was someone else’s fault.
- Retain an experienced attorney to help navigate insurance problems as well as research legal issues such as liability, medical testimony, accident reconstruction and more that are pertinent to building a strong case after the car accident.
- Document all financial expenses including lost wages, medical bills, replacement vehicle, physical therapy and any other costs that resulted from the crash.
- Note all other losses resulting from the automobile accident such as emotional suffering, temporary or permanent disability, the inability or reduced ability to earn a living and the injury or death of a loved one.
When Will You Need An Attorney To Handle Your Case?
Generally, if you are involved in a crash that did not result in serious injury or disability and you were not out of work as a result, your claim will not require an attorney. However, you will need the expert advice of an experienced attorney to assist you with what to do after a car accident if:
- There were injuries serious enough to have caused any kind of permanent disability.
- The accident was caused by carelessness such as the other party driving while impaired or speeding.
- There were injuries resulting from the accident that caused, or continue to cause, extreme financial adversity.
- There were injuries serious enough to prevent the return to work and ability to earn an income.
- Injuries resulted in emotional trauma or severe depression that impedes the injured person’s ability to function successfully.
- Overall quality of life is greatly impacted.
We Can Help
Of course, at Merritt Webb, we can advise and represent you in more situations than just understanding what to do after a car accident. We can represent you or your loved ones who have been injured by the negligence of others including careless or intoxicated car or truck drivers, incompetent doctors or mismanaged hospitals, unlawful human relations practices and health and safety dangers at commercial properties. We also represent businesses with creation and governance regulations, implementation of transactions and contracts, litigation and labor law and more. And, we provide expert representation in defense of criminal charges, bankruptcy claims or employment law violations.