James A. Merritt, Jr. has a number of years of experience in catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death cases. This includes much experience in medical malpractice, large auto accident and truck accident cases. Mr. Merritt also has years of experience in prosecuting and defending general business litigation.
James Merritt earned his J.D. from the University of South Carolina, where he was a member of the Society of the Wig and Robe and the South Carolina Law Review. He is the author of “Day in the Life Films: The Celluloid Witness Comes to the Aid of the Plaintiff,” (33:3 South Carolina Law Review, 1982).
Upon graduation from law school, Mr. Merritt clerked for the Honorable Charles E. Simons, Jr., Chief Judge, U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina.
Mr. Merritt has been a lecturer at South Carolina Continuing Legal Education programs and has been a lecturer at the South Carolina Supreme Court sponsored “Bridge the Gap,” for first-year attorneys for almost twenty years. He presently serves as a member of the South Carolina Bar’s Professional Responsibility Committee.
Mr. Merritt is a member of the South Carolina Trial Lawyers Association, American Association for Justice, and has achieved an AV® Preeminent™ Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®
Durham, North Carolina
Areas of Practice
- Catastrophic Personal Injury
- Auto and Truck Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Product Liability
- Business Litigation
- Furman University, B.A., 1978
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1982
- Mr. Merritt is licensed to practice law in South Carolina and North Carolina.
- Mr. Merritt is a member of the South Carolina Bar Association and the North Carolina Bar Association.
- Mr. Merritt is a member of the Richland County Bar Association.
- All South Carolina State Courts
- All North Carolina State Courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court