Users should keep the following information in mind when visiting and using the Merritt, Webb, Wilson & Caruso, PLLC (Merritt Webb) website:
- Not Legal Advice: Merritt Webb provides the information on this website as a public service. This website offers general information about the law only and hence is not intended to be, nor can it be, actual legal advice on any specific matter for any particular person. The use of information on this website or any link connected to this website or any form offered by this website cannot be taken as establishing any contractual, de facto, implied or other form of attorney-client privilege or relationship between Merritt Webb and the reader or user of this information, links, forms or documents found herein. Merritt Webb does not guarantee such forms, links, documents and information. Merritt Webb can only be responsible for the use of such information, forms or documents if they have been provided by Merritt Webb pursuant to an attorney client relationship between it and the user.
- Attorney licenses: Merritt Webb Attorneys are licensed in the state(s) listed next to each attorney’s name in the attorneys’ section of the website. They provide legal advice only for the states in which they are licensed.
- No guarantee as to currency of information: Due to how quickly the law can change without advance notice, the information contained in this website is not and cannot be guaranteed always to be completely up-to-date. We try to keep it current with frequent updates and review, but that is not always possible on a day-to-day basis.
- No attorney-client relationship: No one can establish an attorney-client relationship with Merritt Webb merely by the use of this website or by sending or receiving information through this site or using any forms herein. Nor is any general information or document found on this website or sent to Merritt Webb unsolicited through this website considered privileged or confidential. An attorney-client relationship with Merritt Webb can be established ONLY by an express and written agreement signed by a Merritt Webb attorney to represent you.
- Internet Links do not establish relationship: Links from this website to other websites do not state or imply a relationship between Merritt Webb and the linked entity. Certain links on this site lead to resources located on servers maintained by third parties over whom Merritt Webb has no control. Merritt Webb, therefore, makes no representation concerning (and expressly disclaims any liability for) the content, accuracy or any other aspect of the information contained on such servers.
- Third Party Information Disclaimer: When this site references information from a Third Party, Merritt Webb is not responsible to assure that it is invariably accurate. Ordinarily, we try to assure such information is accurate but we cannot guarantee its accuracy.
- Case Studies Disclaimer: This web site contains references to, and descriptions of, matters and legal decisions. This information is provided as a public service and for examples of legal matters generally. Case studies or descriptions of matters and legal decisions are not intended as, and should not be taken as, legal advice or as any explicit or implied claim that such results can be duplicated in any other case. Prior results do not guarantee future results.
- No guarantee: We can make no promises or guarantees as to the outcome of any cases or legal matters. Our lawyers must make a case-by-case assessment of any claims and give their best effort analysis of each. Results will, of course, vary depending on a number of facts and variables involved any case. No two cases are alike.
- Hiring of legal counsel: The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements or even based upon information found in websites.
- Hiring Merritt, Webb, Wilson & Caruso, PLLC: IMPORTANT – While we very much want to hear from you, please understand that merely contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. We cannot become your lawyers or represent you in any way unless (1) we know that doing so would not create a conflict of interest with any of the clients we represent, and (2) satisfactory written arrangements have been made with us for representation. Sending us information about any matter that may involve you or using information or documents provided by this website does not make us your attorney unless we have agreed that we will be your lawyers and represent your interests and you have received a signed engagement letter or fee agreement from us.
- Use of Website Cannot Create a Conflict of Interest for Merritt Webb: It is possible, though highly unlikely that if you have a matter that is being or about to be litigated, we may be representing an adverse or involved party. You agree when using this site that merely using the site or sending us information about your case through this site will not constitute a conflict of interest for Merritt Webb or any of its attorneys in the matter in question and Merritt Webb and its attorneys may continue to represent any client in the matter in which you are involved.
- North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee guidance: The material presented on this Web site is provided in accordance with the Rules of Professional Conduct of the states in which we have offices and attorneys.
- Images of Individuals: While most of the pictures of individuals on this website are Merritt Webb employees, not all of them are. Some are simply representative of our staff.
- Website responsibility: The attorneys responsible for this site are James A. Merritt, Jr. (SC, NC) and Heather Caruso (SC, TN), 1122 Lady Street, 4th Floor, Columbia, SC 29201. Please Contact Us with any questions or if you’d like to explore your legal rights.
- The Information We Collect and What We Do With It: We do not collect any personally identifiable information unless you voluntarily provide it to us by subscribing to an e-mail alert service or sending us a comment or a request for information. Any personally identifiable information that you provide to us will be maintained on a secure server. We may use this information to communicate with you by sending you newsletters or other types of communication. If you have provided any personal information to us through this web site, you may request that your information be removed from our database at any time. We do not share your information with anyone outside of our law firm, however, occasionally we hire other companies to provide limited services on our behalf, such as website hosting. These companies will be permitted to obtain only the personal information necessary to perform their services. They are required to maintain the confidentiality of the information and are prohibited from using it for any other purpose.
- Email Communications – Client Alerts: Merritt Webb Client Alerts are intended to provide general information about significant legal developments and should not be construed as legal advice on any specific facts and circumstances, nor should they be construed as advertisements for legal services.
- Links to Third Party Sites: This web site may provide links to third party web sites. We do not make any representations regarding these third party sites and we are not responsible for their privacy policies. You should refer to the privacy policies posted on those sites to determine what information they may collect when you visit them.
- Cookies and Web Tracking: We will use automated tracking mechanisms to track a visitor’s use of our web site so that we can enhance our services. This will tell us, for example, which areas of a site are visited most frequently and how long visitors remain on the site or in particular areas. This information is provided to us anonymously and in the aggregate. We do not combine this anonymous data with any personal information.
- IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in a client alert is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in a client alert.
The following attorneys are responsible for the content of this website: James A. Merritt, Jr. (SC, NC) and Heather B. Caruso (SC, TN), 1122 Lady Street, 4th Floor, Columbia, SC 29201.